Facts That Sound Made-Up Aug 31, 2015 2:19:28 GMT -5
Post by Joanna on Aug 31, 2015 2:19:28 GMT -5
Facts That Sound Made-Up
1. Mammoths were alive when the Great Pyramid was being built.
2. From the time it was discovered to the time it was stripped of its status as a planet, Pluto hadn’t made a full trip around the sun.
3. The lighter was invented before the match.
4. France last used a guillotine to execute someone after Star Wars premiered. Hamida Djandoubi (above center) was guillotined September 10, 1977.
5. Harvard University was founded before calculus existed.
6. If you have 23 people in a room, there’s a 50% chance that two of them have the same birthday.
7. In the nursery rhyme “Humpty Dumpty,” it’s never mentioned he is an egg.
8. The water in Lake Superior could cover all of North and South America in a foot of water.
9. North Korea and Finland both border the same country – Russia.
10. When you get a kidney transplant, your original kidneys are usually left in your body and the third kidney is placed in the pelvis.
11. Oxford University is older than the Aztec Empire.
12. The national animal of Scotland is the unicorn.
13. The Ottoman Empire still existed the last time the Chicago Cubs won the World Series.
14. The lighter the roast of coffee, the more caffeine it has.
15. A speck of dust is halfway in size between a subatomic particle and the Earth.
16. If the timeline of earth were compressed into one year, humans wouldn’t show up until December 31 at 11:58 p.m.
17. If you were able to dig a hole to the center of the earth and drop something into it, it would take 42 minutes for the object to get there.
18. We went to the moon before we thought to put wheels on suitcases.
19. A human could swim through the arteries of a blue whale.
20. If you could fold a piece of paper in half 42 times, the combined thickness would reach the moon.
21. On both Saturn and Jupiter, it rains diamonds.
22. Saudi Arabia imports camels from Australia.
23. If you could line up all eight planets in our solar system directly next to each other, they would fit into the space between Earth and the moon.
24. The youngest known mother was 5-years-old.
25. The Earth is smoother than a billiard ball – if both were of the same size.
26. Nintendo was founded in 1889.
27. If you take all the molecules in a teaspoon of water and lined them up end to end in a single file line, they would stretch 30 billion miles.
38. In Australia, there was a war called the Emu War. The emus won.
Source: Jason W. Stevens, The Federalist Papers.