Drawing Down the Moon Aug 5, 2014 14:41:40 GMT -5
Post by Graveyardbride on Aug 5, 2014 14:41:40 GMT -5
How to Draw down the Moon
In this beautiful and powerful rite, the practitioner invokes the goddess directly into herself. In some variations, a high priestess may go into a trance-like state and speak the words of the goddess, or it may be a formal monologue calling upon the goddess in her many forms. Regardless of how you practice it, “Drawing Down the Moon” is best performed on the night of the full moon, or on one of the nights immediately before. While it’s more suitable to be performed outside, if the weather is inclement or your neighbors are easily startled, you my hold the ritual indoors near a window through which the moon can be seen.
1. Stand at your altar with your arms crossed over your chest and feet together. Face toward the full moon and say: “Goddess of the Moon, You have been known by many names in many lands in many times. You are universal and constant. In the dark of night, You shine down upon us and bathe us in Your light and love. I ask You, O Divine One, to honor me by joining with me, and allowing me to feel Your presence within my heart.”
2. Move your feet apart to about shoulder width and raise your arms up and out to welcome the goddess into you. The next part is one that you can memorize and learn, or you can speak spontaneously from the heart. You will begin to feel a surge of energy, a palpable tingle – don’t worry, that’s the Goddess making herself known to you. Feel free to change these words as you like. You are speaking for her, in her voice, so let her say what she wishes. Say: “I am the Mother of all life, the One who watches over all. I am the wind in the sky, the spark in the fire, the seedling in the earth, the water in the river.”
3. Continue: "I am the vessel from which all things spring forth. Honor me from within your heart! Remember that acts of love and pleasure are My rituals, and that there is beauty in all things. Honor me on this night of the full moon! I have been with you since the moment you were created, and shall remain with you always. Let there be beauty and strength, wisdom and honor, humility and courage within you. If you need me, call upon me and I shall come to you, for I am everywhere, always. Honor me as you seek knowledge! I am the Maiden, the Mother and the Crone, and I live within you.
4. Feel the power of the Goddess within you. When you are ready, conclude with: “I look down upon the sands of the desert, I crash the tides upon the shore, I shine on the mighty trees of the forests, and watch with joy as Life continues every cycle. Be true to me, honoring that which I have created, and I shall be true to you in return. With harm to none, so it shall be.”
5. Take a few moments to stand and bask in her glow and meditate upon that which you have just experienced. Once the energy surge has subsided, lower your arms and proceed with your ceremony as you normally would at the conclusion of a ritual.
Source: Patti Wiggington, Paganism & Wicca.