AVON, Ohio – Avon High School was evacuated yesterday after several students smelled something strange in the air and fell ill. The school is about 20 miles west of Cleveland.
Police and fire officials responded to the high school after a report of a toxic smell that was making students sick. Officials say fire crews determined that no students had passed out, but some reported feeling dizzy and were having difficulties breathing. Four were transported to the hospital.
According to reports, students were evacuated to a nearby church while officials determined the cause of the odor, which was limited to a single hallway. City police say the irritant is not yet known.